Just
like every other human on Earth I have encountered conflict in my life, some of
which still remain unresolved. One of these unresolved conflicts involves a
former friend from high school, who will remain anonymous, that I met during my
senior year. I had seen him hanging around some of my other friends but I never
talked to him. That year I started to see him more often so I decided to
introduce myself and get to know him. It turned out that he was a really nice
guy and overtime we became good friends. As the friendship developed we started
playing basketball outside of school, watched sporting events, and so on.
When I reflect on our friendship I find that we had so many good times it is hard to identify anything negative that happened between us. But towards the end of my senior year the trust in our relationship was damaged for a number of reasons. When I asked him to hang out he would say that he wanted to and that he was going to, but then he never showed up. He took it to another level when he threw insults my way, which is when I severed communication with him. I cannot put the blame entirely on him because I also lied and retaliated to his insults to an extent, which I am not proud of. I no longer believed that he took the relationship seriously and I didn’t trust that he would act in ways that not only respected me, but acknowledged my feelings as well. When graduation came we never got a chance to resolve the conflict, so we went our separate ways without making amends.
If I didn’t lie or retaliate with insults I’m sure the conflict wouldn’t have led me to severe communication with him. In all honesty, we probably would have resolved the conflict in a few minutes if we had just sat down and talked it out. I certainly don’t look back on how I acted with fondness, but I have made the effort to learn from that mistake to prevent the same thing from happening again. Since the conflict wasn’t too deep or complex it would have been easy to apply the suggestions in the section, “Forgiveness: Repairing Relationships Damaged by Conflict,” and resolve the conflict (Verderber & Verderber 378). This section describes the seven steps of forgiveness, “a communication process that allows you and your partner to overcome the damage done to your relationship because of a transgression,” that we could have utilized (Verderber & Verderber 379). Our resolution would have started by confessing our mistakes and acknowledging the wrong that had been done. Then we could’ve vented our negative emotions and come to understand why we fought in the first place. It would’ve helped if we apologized to each other and forgave our mistakes because it would have shown me that he appreciated our friendship and wanted it to continue. Setting new conditions and rules hopefully would’ve prevented such conflict from arising again, and it would’ve been up to us to follow those rules and monitor our behavior to ensure that trust in the relationship had been restored (Verderber & Verderber 379-381). I still have a sour taste in my mouth regarding that conflict and he may have the same taste. It would’ve been better to resolve the conflict so we would remember all of the good times we had instead of the bad times we had during our last interactions, and maybe we would still have a relationship.
When I reflect on our friendship I find that we had so many good times it is hard to identify anything negative that happened between us. But towards the end of my senior year the trust in our relationship was damaged for a number of reasons. When I asked him to hang out he would say that he wanted to and that he was going to, but then he never showed up. He took it to another level when he threw insults my way, which is when I severed communication with him. I cannot put the blame entirely on him because I also lied and retaliated to his insults to an extent, which I am not proud of. I no longer believed that he took the relationship seriously and I didn’t trust that he would act in ways that not only respected me, but acknowledged my feelings as well. When graduation came we never got a chance to resolve the conflict, so we went our separate ways without making amends.
If I didn’t lie or retaliate with insults I’m sure the conflict wouldn’t have led me to severe communication with him. In all honesty, we probably would have resolved the conflict in a few minutes if we had just sat down and talked it out. I certainly don’t look back on how I acted with fondness, but I have made the effort to learn from that mistake to prevent the same thing from happening again. Since the conflict wasn’t too deep or complex it would have been easy to apply the suggestions in the section, “Forgiveness: Repairing Relationships Damaged by Conflict,” and resolve the conflict (Verderber & Verderber 378). This section describes the seven steps of forgiveness, “a communication process that allows you and your partner to overcome the damage done to your relationship because of a transgression,” that we could have utilized (Verderber & Verderber 379). Our resolution would have started by confessing our mistakes and acknowledging the wrong that had been done. Then we could’ve vented our negative emotions and come to understand why we fought in the first place. It would’ve helped if we apologized to each other and forgave our mistakes because it would have shown me that he appreciated our friendship and wanted it to continue. Setting new conditions and rules hopefully would’ve prevented such conflict from arising again, and it would’ve been up to us to follow those rules and monitor our behavior to ensure that trust in the relationship had been restored (Verderber & Verderber 379-381). I still have a sour taste in my mouth regarding that conflict and he may have the same taste. It would’ve been better to resolve the conflict so we would remember all of the good times we had instead of the bad times we had during our last interactions, and maybe we would still have a relationship.
Works Cited
Verderber, Kathleen S. & Rudolph F.
Verderber. Inter-Act: Interpersonal Communication Concepts,
Skills, and Contexts. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013. Print.


No comments:
Post a Comment